Here is our weekly round-up of interesting links about speculative fiction from around the web, this week with a whole lot of space opera, American Gods, Alien Covenant, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and All Systems Red as well as the usual mix of awards news, writing advice, interviews, reviews, awards news, a whole lot of con reports, crowdfunding projects, science articles and free online fiction.
Speculative fiction in general:
- T.W. O'Brien shares 55 essential space operas from the past seventy years.
- Alan Brown shares ten classic space operas that unfortunately happen to be very white and very male.
- Thankfully, Judith Tarr points out that women have always written space opera, too.
- Judith Tarr also talks about SF works featuring horses in space.
- Cora Buhlert declares that space opera is not just for white men anymore and never was in the first place.
- Sam Reader shares six comedic space operas.
- Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer discusses the underrated importance of ordinary life in space opera.
- Liz Bourke discusses space opera and the politics of domesticity.
- Liz Bourke also discusses the way different space operas portray empires and imperialism.
- Kameron Hurley explains how she created her space opera universe.
- Ross Johnson shares ten great space opera comics.
- T.W. O'Brien discusses immortality in science fiction.
- Ellen Klages discusses her favourite bad girls of fiction.
- Jeff Somers shares the ten fiercest mothers in SFF.
- Gillian Pollack shares a list of Australian Jewish speculative fiction.
- Rachel Cheung talks about the new golden age of Chinese science fiction and profiles writers Hao Jingfang, Regina Wang and Wang Jao a.k.a Xia Jia.
- Molly Templeton shares her appreciation for the Lightless series by C.A. Higgins.
- Karin L. Kross shares her appreciation for the Culture series by Iain M. Banks.
- Leah Schnelbach shares her appreciation for Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany.
- Mike Resnick shares his appreciation for Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon.
- Ted Gioia remembers Cordwainer Smith.
- Tobias Carroll shares his appreciation for Lives of the Monster Dogs by Kirsten Bakis.
- Mike Everest shares his appreciation for David Gemmell.
- David Barnett declares that George R.R. Martin has a duty to finish The Winds of Winter.
- Laura M. Hughes talks about the SPFBO and how self-published fantasy is revitalising the genre.
- Daniel José Ruiz talks about the friction between geek culture and race.
- Alexa Graves shares her thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2.
- Bob Mayer revisits the movie Edge of Tomorrow a.k.a. Live, Die, Repeat.
- Cheryl Eddy shares the fifteen best science fiction and fantasy noir films.
- Steve Rose revisits Twin Peaks and discusses how it influenced today's television.
- Alan Brown discusses the season finale of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., season 4.
- James Whitbrook reports that an alarming number of parents named their sons Kylo after patricidal Star Wars character Kylo Ren last year.
- Douglas Wolk comments on the Captain America debacle.
- Actor Powers Boothe, who appeared in The Avengers, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Sin City and Red Dawn among others, died aged 68.
Comments on American Gods:
- Adam Roberts declares that the TV adaptation of American Gods could not be more timely.
- Meghan Ball and Kelly Anderson take a look at the third episode of American Gods.
- Alex Brown offers a recap of the third episode of American Gods.
- Brandon Cook explains how American Gods changed the game for gay sex on TV.
- See the various American Gods characters portrayed as cute cats.
Comments on Alien: Covenant and the entire Alien series:
- Ben Child wonders whether Alien: Covenant and Blade Runner 2049 will ruin the mystery of the originals.
- Ryan Britt explains why the original Alien endures even after thirty-eight years.
- Danny Bowes shares his appreciation for the 1986 sequel Aliens.
- Abraham Riesman shares the secret history of William B. Gibson's never filmed Alien sequel.
Comments on King Arthur: Legend of the Sword:
- Peter Bradshaw calls King Arthur: Legend of the Sword an entertaining, if somewhat dodgy rollercoaster.
- Mark Jenkins calls King Arthur: Legend of the Sword an edgy script dulled by too much CGI.
- Brooks Barnes reports that King Arthur: Legend of the Sword underperforms at the box office.
- Gwilym Mumford wonders why King Arthur: Legend of the Sword flopped so badly.
- The finalists for the 2017 Locus Awards have been announced.
- The finalists for the 2017 Tomorrow Prize have been announced.
- The finalists for the 2017 Roswell Prize have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2017 Anthony Awards have been announced.
- Mike Glyer reports how a controversy about cultural appropriation in Canada spawned two new literary awards, including the Emerging Indigenous Voices Award created by Silva Moreno-Garcia.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Alyx Dellamonica talks about the challenges of teaching writing.
- Maurice Broaddus talks about wrestling with writer's block.
- Jeff Goins shares his writing system.
- Colum McCann shares tips for novelists.
- Stephanie Burgis talks about switching between writing for adults and for kids.
- Nicola Alter discusses plot twists that defy genre expectations.
- John Scalzi talks about writing diverse characters.
- Carl Slaughter interviews Walter Jon Williams.
- Jarrod Watt interviews Ken Liu.
- Pat's Fantasy Hotlist interviews Tad Williams.
- Lawrence M. Schoen interviews Paul Levinson.
- Dag Rambraut interviews J.M. Moncrieff.
- David Cranmer interviews Court Merrigan.
- The Qwillery interviews Jessica Reisman.
- Martin Cahill reviews Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee.
- Renay Williams reviews All Systems Red by Martha Wells.
- Paul Weimer also reviews All Systems Red by Martha Wells.
- The Qwillery also reviews All Systems Red by Martha Wells.
- Martin Cahill reviews River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey.
- Aiden Moher reviews Food of the Gods by Cassandra Khaw.
- Jonathan Thornton reviews Agents of Dreamland by Caitlin R. Kiernan.
- Thea James reviews Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor.
- Shana DuBois reviews A Tyranny of Queens by Foz Meadows.
- Steve Damarell reviews Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan.
- Lady Business also reviews Within the Snctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan.
- Corrina Lawson reviews Vanguard by Jack Campbell.
- Aaron Pound reviews Abbadon's Gate by James S.A. Corey.
- Rob Bedford reviews Cold Welcome by Elizabeth Moon.
- FictionFan's Book Reviews reviews The Ice by Laline Paull.
- Victoria Hoyle reviews The Power by Naomi Alderman.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi.
- Niall Alexander reviews America City by Chris Beckett.
- Mark Yon reviews Rhyming Rings by David Gemmell.
- The Fantastic Fiction Readings series held every month at the KGB Bar in New York City is looking for funding.
- Emerging Indigenous Voices, a new Canadian literary award to support and nurture new indigenous writers, is looking for funding.
- Author and editor Tom Shutt died much too young and people are raising money for his family.
- Karen Wada reports about an exhibition honouring Octavia E. Butler at the Huntington Library in Los Angeles, California.
- Beth Elderkin shares the coolest cosplay photos from Houston Comicpalooza in Houston, Texas.
- Mark L. Blackman reports about the latest edition of the Fantastic Fiction Readings Series, featuring E.C. Myers and Sam J. Miller, at the KGB Bar in New York City.
- Heather Rose Jones offers write-ups of various panels presented at the Kalamazoo Medieval Congress in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Science and technology:
- China is considering a mission to capture an asteroid and fire it into the moon's orbit.
- China is also simulating an extended stay on the moon.
- Nuclear tests during the Cold War have created artificial radiation belts in space.
- Have astronomers found evidence of parallel universes?
- One of the best ever preserved dinosaur fossils ever has been found in Canada.
- The truth about rogue waves.
Free online fiction:
- "Damage" by David D. Levine at Tor.com.
- "Sanctuary" by Allen Steele at Tor.com.
- "Capricorn Games" by Robert Silverberg in Galaxy's Edge.
- "Read Before Use" by Chinelo Onwualu in Uncanny Magazine.
- "Dragonflies" by Seanan McGuire in Lightspeed.
- "Unicorns" by Mikki Kendall.
- "Trigger Snowflake, Lawman" by Ingvar at File 770.
Odds and ends:
- Watch a trailer for Star Trek: Discovery.
- Watch a trailer for Black Lightning.
- Watch a trailer for the new X-Men based TV show The Gifted.
- Watch a trailer for The Orville.
- Watch a teaser for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.
- Watch a trailer for The Crossing.
- Watch a trailer for Okja.
- Watch a trailer for War for the Planet of the Apes.
- Watch a trailer for The Mummy.
- Watch a trailer for Sol 87.
- Watch a trailer for Salvation.
- Watch a trailer for Kill Switch.
- See some photos of a real world Hobbit house in Scotland.
- How to make the famous, divinely good Twin Peaks cherry pie.