Speculative fiction in general:
- The participants of the latest Mind Meld share their favourite fresh perspectives on common SFF tropes.
- Corey J. White shares five books about the collapse of New York City.
- Andrea Phillips talks about dangerous ideas and revolutions in fiction and in real life.
- Emily Feng discusses how China became a science fiction powerhouse.
- Lavie Tidhar declares that the golden age of Chinese science fiction is now.
- Amar Ekushey discusses how science fiction is popular with young readers in Bangladesh.
- Geoff Ryman shares an insight into the Kenyan SFF scene of Nairobi.
- John Ostrander talks about identification and the Other.
- Hillel Italie reports that Ursula K. Le Guin has been accepted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Ceridwen Christensen shares six reasons to love the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain.
- Nathaniel Williams shares a potential beginner's guide to Doc Savage.
- Cat Rambo revisits the Doc Savage adventure The Spook Legion by Kenneth Robeson a.k.a. Lester Dent.
- Grady Hendrix revists sleazy 1970s and 1980s paperback novels about satanism, brainwashing and cults.
- Katharine Trendacosta shares ten science fiction curse words for all occasions.
- Cheryl Eddy shares the ten worst people after the apocalypse.
- Mark Yon celebrates British comic 2000AD on its 40th anniversary.
- Patrick Caughill discusses how scientifically accurate several popular science fiction films are.
- Zachary Pincus-Roth discusses the political dimension of Arrival and other science fiction films.
- David Betancourt declares that Logan is the Wolverine movie Hugh Jackman has always deserved.
- Karin L. Kross shares her thoughts about the film adaptation of The Girl with All the Gifts.
Deaths and tributes:
- SFF writer Susan Casper, wife of editor Gardner Dozois, has died aged 70.
- SFF writer Richard Purtill has died aged 85.
- British fantasy writer Nancy Willard has died aged 80.
- Neil Fingleton, actor, stuntman and Britain's tallest man, has died aged 36.
- Actor Bill Paxton, who appeared in many SFF movies and TV shows among other things, has died aged 61 following complications of heart surgery.
- Alasdair Stuart remembers Bill Paxton.
- io9 share their 13 all-time favourite Bill Paxton performances.
- Real life storm chasers have united for a unique tribute to Bill Paxton, since Paxton played a storm chaser in Twister.
- The 89th Academy Awards have been awarded with an embarassing envelope mix-up and very little recognition for SFF films.
- Inspired by the Oscar envelope mix-up, Mike Glyer recalls several gaffes at various SFF awards celebrations.
- The winners of the 2017 Golden Raspberry Awards a.k.a. Razzies have been announced and Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice won several of the uncoveted awards.
- The finalists for the 2017 Asimov's Readers Awards have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2017 Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards have been announced.
- The winners of the 2017 D.I.C.E. Videogame Awards have been announced.
- The winners of the 2016 Richard Laymon Award has been announced.
- The winner of the HWA's 2016 Specialty Press Award has been announced.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Oren Ashkenazi shares five underused speculative fiction settings.
- Amanda Bressler shares some tips for using news headlines as inspirations for horror stories.
- Jon Skovron shares a video about how to write a fantasy novel with a fountain pen.
- Steven Smith discusses how to bring a fantasy trilogy to a strong ending.
- Stuart J. Whitmore talks about health, fitness and productive writing.
- J.A. Konrath discusses how good is good enough.
- Monica Valentinelli discusses the role of writers in game production.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch shares some financial tips for writers and other freelancers.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch also shares some tips for writing with a chronic illness.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Kameron Hurley.
- Pat's Fantasy Hotlist interviews Jacqueline Carey.
- The Civilian Reader interviews Sarah Gailey.
- Steven Brust and Skyler White interview each other.
- William Meikle interviews Dave Jeffery.
- Kathryn McGee interviews Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.
- Kathryn McGee also interviews Lucy A. Snyder.
- Kathryn McGee also interviews Rain Graves.
- NPR interviews Dr. Mae Jemison, NASA's first black female astronaut.
- Joe Sherry reviews The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley.
- Renay Williams reviews Revenger by Alastair Reynolds.
- Mark Yon also reviews Revenger by Alastair Reynolds.
- John Bardinelli also reviews Revenger by Alastair Reynolds.
- Alasdair Stuart reviews Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty.
- MarkYon reviews The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams.
- Eric Christensen reviews Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.
- The Civilian Reader reviews River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey.
- Charlie Hopkins reviews Skullsworn by Brian Staveley.
- Suicide by Books reviews An Accident of Stars by Foz Meadows.
- The Fantasy Café reviews Dreams of Distant Shores by Patricia A. McKillip.
- Rob Bedford reviews Into the Fire by Patrick Hester.
- Rich Rosell reviews The Wrong Dead Guy by Richard Kadrey.
- Shana DuBois reviews Hunger Makes the Wolf by Alex Wells.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews We Are Always Watching by Hunter Shea.
- Mark Yon reviews Hekla's Children by James Brogden.
- Bookworm Blues reviews Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.
- Steve Davidson reviews Sisters of Tomorrow: The First Women of Science Fiction, edited by Lisa Yaszek and Patrick B. Sharp.
- Volume 2 of Dates!, an anthology of queer historical fiction edited by Zora Gilbert and Cat Parra, is looking for funding.
- Rich Lynch discusses which was the first ever science fiction convention.
- Fandom Rover shares an overview of Polish conventions.
- Australian writer Tom Taylor explains why he will not be attending Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, Washington, as well as other US conventions.
- The Geekiary reports about a film industry professional from New Zealand who is also reluctant to travel to San Diego Comic Con and other US conventions.
- Bryan Brandenburg explains why Salt Lake City Comic Con in Salt Lake City, Utah, is an important economic factor.
- Melanie Marttila reports about a panel on the dark side of fairy tales at the 2016 WorldCon in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Beth Elderkin shares some very cute photos of a little girl's Wonder Woman costume at Milwaukee Comic Con in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Science and technology:
- SpaceX is planning to send two paying passengers around the moon.
- The international legal issues of colonising Mars.
- China uses so-called "citizen scores" to blacklist people from buying plane and high speed rail tickets.
- Can genetic engineering cure sickle cell disease?
- Why do extremely tall people die relatively young.
Free online fiction:
- "The Unknown God" by Ann Leckie in Uncanny Magazine.
- "The Revolution, Brought to You by Nike" by Andrea Phillips in Fireside Fiction.
- "Lazy Dog Out" by Suzanne Palmer in Asimov's.
- "Pilgrim's Refuge" by Thomas Diehl.
Odds and Ends: