Monday, June 16, 2014

Spectra's Gambit (Lost Tales of Power) by Vincent Trigili


Sub Genre: Space Opera
Release Date: June 13, 2013

ABOUT Spectra's Gambit:

An old ally of Grandmaster Vydor comes to him for help because an enemy, perhaps as old as the Empire itself, has turned its sights on his Cathratinairian race and means to wipe them out. Spectra and Dusty are sent to find and stop this new threat, while Spectra begins her plan to change the balance of power for the entire known multiverse. Dusty must decide to follow Spectra as she uses this mission of mercy for her own gain, or stand with the Wizards Kingdom, which could put him in direct opposition to his wife.

~ EXCERPT ~

As we approached the windows she asked, “What is it like out there?”

“Surely you have been out there?” I asked.

“Oh, of course. I have extensive training in operating in space, but it is always in my armor, so I am not really out there,” she said. “It’s like we take a bit of inside with us when we go.”

“Good thing, too. You might find it a bit chilly,” I said.

“Surely it’s not cold for you?” she asked.

“No, it's not,” I said as I leaned against the view port and looked out. “It's not cold, and it's not hot – it just is.”

“What if you get close to a star? Surely the radiance of heat from it would be something you felt?” she said.

“No, not really, at least not in the same way. I don’t know how to describe it,” I said and was quiet for a while. Then a thought struck me. “What does air feel like?”

“Air?” she asked.

“Yes, you are surrounded by air your entire life. What does it feel like?” I asked.

“It … well … I guess I don’t know,” she said.

“Neither do I know what space feels like. When you have been with something your whole life, you tend to filter it out.”

“Yeah, I guess so, but you travel from one to the other. Surely you notice a difference?”

“Yes, air is heavy, so very heavy,” I said quietly.

Before she could respond we heard an alarm go off, and she called out, “Come on!” and ran toward the sound. I followed after her, unwilling to let her run toward trouble alone. As we turned a corner we saw some big men yelling at Doctor Hawthorne and waving blasters in his face.

Saraphym clicked her helmet on and sent a call to the others for help but did not slow her charge.

“Back off!” she yelled.

The men looked up and saw her running toward them and laughed. “What are you going to do about it?”

I drew my blasters and said, “I think you better listen to her.”

I would have stopped there and found cover, but she launched into the air and flew impossibly far, right over Doctor Hawthorne’s head, and slammed into the leader. She spun off that blow and suddenly had a staff in her hands that I had not seen before. It swung and connected hard with the head of the second man, who collapsed.

I finally reached Doctor Hawthorne and sent him running. “Get help!”

Saraphym spun again after that blow and was now surrounded by attackers. They spread out, obviously respecting her staff. They had not fired their weapons yet and it concerned me how close we were to the airlock. A misfire could put a hole into the exterior, and that would be bad.

“Now, I suggest you get off the station and do not return,” she said. There was ice in her voice that I had never heard before.

I could not get a clear shot on any of them without risking hitting Saraphym, so I drew my swords and moved in, ready for the fight that I knew was coming.

The leader laughed, threw his gun down, and said, “I think you need to learn some manners, young lady.”

He just barely started to reach for her when Saraphym’s foot connected with the side of his unprotected head. There was a loud crack as she connected and he went down. The others looked in amazement as Saraphym completed her spin and said, “Anyone else need a lesson in the proper way to treat a lady?”

Amazon | Apple | Kobo | Smashwords | Google

This week only get the first three full length novels in the Lost Tales of Power series for only $1.99! 


Amazon | Apple | Google | Kobo


Vincent, father and husband of nearly two decades, holds degrees in both Math and Computer Science. In addition, he has published an astronomy journal and anchored popular blogs, along with publishing numerous articles, poetry and other works.

He got his start in writing fiction as a small child, losing himself in the worlds he dreamed up in order to escape the doldrums of normal life. Now, using his formal education and extensive career experience, he excels in creating fictional worlds of depth and rich fantasy, while maintaining a foundation of reality based on science and technology.

~ Giveaway ~

No comments:

Post a Comment